Current:Home > ScamsPhilippines' VP Sara Duterte a no -Capitatum
Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 08:49:01
MANILA — Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte failed to appear on Dec 11 for questioning over a purported threat to assassinate President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, choosing instead to send a letter denying an allegation she made a "grave threat" to his life.
Duterte, an influential ally of Marcos until their acrimonious fallout earlier in 2024, was subpoenaed to appear before National Bureau of Investigation to explain remarks during a recent press conference, when she said she had hired a hit man to kill Marcos, his wife and the House of Representatives speaker, in the event that she herself were killed.
Duterte, the daughter of firebrand former President Rodrigo Duterte, has not detailed any specific threat to her life, while Marcos has described her remarks as "reckless and troubling".
The investigation comes as Duterte is the subject of impeachment complaints in the Lower House for alleged graft, incompetence and amassing ill-gotten wealth while in office, which she has denied.
Duterte said she did not expect a fair investigation, given what she called "biased pronouncements" from the president and a Justice Ministry official.
"We believe cases will be filed," she told reporters on Dec 10. "The worst-case scenario we see is removal from office, impeachment, and then piled-up cases which the lawyers already told me to expect as well."
The relationship between Marcos and Duterte has turned hostile in recent months, a stark contrast to two years ago, when their two powerful families joined forces to sweep a presidential election.
Riding on a wave of support at the tail end of her popular father's presidency, Duterte initially led opinion polls on preferred presidential candidates, but opted to run alongside Marcos rather than against him.
Marcos has said he does not support the impeachment efforts.
Following her failure to show for questioning, NBI Director Jaime Santiago on Dec 11 read a letter to media that he said was sent by Duterte's lawyers stating she "vehemently denies having made any threat" that could be classified as a "grave threat" under the law, or a violation of the country's anti-terrorism act.
Santiago assured Duterte a fair enquiry and said the subpoena for questioning would have been an opportunity for her to elaborate on the threats against her.
"It would have been easier had (the vice-president) appeared before us," he said.
Santiago said he would leave it to Duterte to decide whether to face investigators before they conclude their probe in January.
Duterte said threats against her had not been investigated, and she was unwilling to provide information because she did not trust the authorities.
"Right now seeing they are picking out words I said and making a case out of it saying it was a threat, they should start to ask where is this coming from," she said.
She added: "I am at peace at whatever happens to me."
[[nid:711865]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (27)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- People are getting Botox in their necks to unlock a new bodily function: burping
- Congo says at least 129 people died during an attempted jailbreak, most of them in a stampede
- James Darren, ‘Gidget’ teen idol, singer and director, dies at 88
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Roger Federer understands why there are questions about US Open top seed Jannik Sinner’s doping case
- Trent Williams ends holdout with 49ers with new contract almost complete
- A vandal shatters windows and doors at Buffalo City Hall
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Simone Biles Says She's No Longer Performing This Gymnastic Move in the Most Unforgettable Way
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Florida man sentenced for attacking Jewish teens
- US Open: Jessica Pegula reaches her 7th Grand Slam quarterfinal. She is 0-6 at that stage so far
- Coast Guard, Navy team up for daring rescue of mother, daughter and pets near Hawaii
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- 2024 US Open: Here’s how to watch on TV, betting odds and more you should know
- SpaceX Falcon 9 is no longer grounded: What that means for Polaris Dawn launch
- Human remains found in Indiana in 1993 are identified as a South Carolina native
Recommendation
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Alabama sets mid-October execution date for man who killed 5 in ax and gun attack
Howard University’s capstone moment: Kamala Harris at top of the ticket
Auburn police fatally shoot man at apartment complex
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Murder on Music Row: Predatory promoters bilk Nashville's singing newcomers
Para badminton duo wins silver for USA's first Paralympic medal in sport
Missouri officer dies after crashing into a tree during high speed chase